Thursday, February 4, 2016

A Fortunate Result of Being Mindful

Holly Troup and I were walking back from the library (again) and passed a man who appeared deep into middle-age sitting on a metal railing along the sidewalk. The bus stop was across the street, not hear him; and something about him simply did not look right. So, I walked back a few steps and stopped in front of him and said, "Are you all right?" He responded, "No, I'm really not. I'm sick and don't have enough money to take the bus to get my medicine." I told him I did and got out my wallet. I asked him what had happened, and he pulled up his shirt, revealing two significant scars near his waist. I asked if he had been shot, and he told me he'd had colon surgery. We talked for another minute, and then introduced ourselves. I told him - candidly - that I was glad I had met him; he said he would remember me. I believe I'll remember Mr. Wayne. (In the deep South we often append a "Mr." or "Ms." to a first name.) I am glad I paid attention to my awareness that something was amiss. It was good for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment